Monday, April 16, 2012

The Only Constant

A little over a month ago, I tried to get out of my car at the exact same moment she was trying to unlock. In that one short second, something inside my door snapped and made it impossible for me to let myself out of Gigi the White Ant without rolling down the window and releasing the door from the outside. Thankfully I COULD let myself out from the outside or else I’d have been pulling a Dukes of Hazard…which I imagine isn’t proper protocol for WMU.

A little over a year and a half ago (give or take a few months because I don’t really remember when it started), I started renting cars for work when renting was more cost effective than driving my own car. Since that time, I’ve driven quite a few cars—some brand new, some high end luxury cars that I could never afford, some that I really didn’t like, and some that stink (like today’s Camry that smells like smoke)—and I’ve become cordial acquaintances with Doc the Car Delivery Man, Isaiah the Assistant Manager, Julio the Manager, Jessica the Trainee, Mike the Assistant Manager, and Mike the Trainee.

I took my car to the Toyota place for an oil change and fluids check on Friday. Jerry the Service Assistant (whom I work with each time I go to the Toyota place) said that they would need to keep GiGi the White Ant overnight to fix the door so that they wouldn’t have to take it apart twice if they needed to order a part. Since I needed Gigi the White Ant over the weekend so that I could go to Blowing Rock and find that Toms had adopted my font for one of their ad campaigns (see Facebook picture from Saturday), I decided to leave her at the Toyota place tonight because I needed to rent for work anyway.

Today when I went into Enterprise, I spoke to Mike the Assistant Manager and Mike the Trainee, met Corrina the Management Trainee, and saw John The Bald District Manager. Doc the Delivery Man was out on a delivery. Isaiah the Assistant Manager has long been gone to another branch. Julio the Manager recently left for another company. And Jessica the Trainee moved to another branch to work in car sales today. Corrina the Management Trainee will likely be at our branch for 90 days. We’ll probably become cordial acquaintances, too, and then she’ll move on. I’m not sure about the Mikes. I’ll try not to get too attached, though, because I’m sure they’ll leave too.

As a salesman talked to John the Bald District Manager, he asked about Julio. The salesman didn’t know that Julio the Manager was gone. When John the Bald District Manager told the salesman that Julio the Manager had left for another company, the salesman responded with, “The only constant in life is change.”

I agree. Especially at Enterprise.

I’m hoping really hard that when Jason the New Manager comes from Irmo in May (I heard John the Bald District Manager say this to the salesman and I confirmed its truth with Corrina the Management Trainee who said that Jason the New Manager was really good and really organized) he’ll stay for longer than a few months. But again, I’ll try not to get too attached…

Because the only constant in life is change…

And I’m looking forward to GiGi the White Ant’s broken door handle being changed to one that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment