Thursday, March 15, 2012

Homeless Hotspots and Other Things On My Mind Today

I joked with one of my friends this weekend that I’m often tired because I think so much and feel so deeply. For example. Here are the things that have been on my mind today, in addition to work and the never-ending to-do list:

Using homeless men and woman as wireless hotspots: Getting a decent data connection at SXSW (Annual music, film, and interactive conference and festival held in Austin, TX) can be a challenge, given that it attracts what may be the most data-hungry crowd in the world. With a project called Homeless Hotspots, a marketing company is helping out with this, while helping the homeless and promoting itself. Homeless people have been enlisted to roam the streets wearing T-shirts that say “I am a 4G hotspot.” Passersby can pay what they wish to get online via the 4G-to-Wi-Fi device that the person is carrying. It is a neat idea on a practical level, but also a little dystopian. When the infrastructure fails us… we turn human beings into infrastructure? — David Gallagher

Hormone modified corn and soybeans and big business running today’s economy and how consumer change takes a long time but how I’m slowly making changes in my life.

Community gardening and how I really want to be part of a community garden but have no knowledge of gardening and no place to plant one.

Bringing Herbert the Happy Plant back to life and feeling successful with that.

Getting new dirt for the office plants.

Learning how to repot things.

Being thrown off by the time change.

Commitment and divorce and when it’s okay to call it quits.

Boundaries. Forgiveness. And letting go.

Over-sexualized commercials and advertising for products that have nothing to do with sex. They make me mad.

Winning Scrabble.

Worth, value, fear of abandonment, and the purpose of life.

Those are just some of the things on my mind today.

What’s on yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment