Thursday, March 8, 2012

A Sweet Moment

Saturday
March 3, 2012
The Sleep Cave
Lillington, NC
6:45am

Griffin (age 6), whispering: “Dee. I’m cold.”

Dee (age 34), groggy from sleep: “There are some blankets at the end of my bed.”

Griffin, whispering, after hurling his pillow onto my bed and curling up in a ball underneath a blanket at my feet: “Dee. This blanket is not very soft.”

Dee: “Griffin, baby, I don’t think there’s a blanket much softer than the cow blanket.”

Griffin, not letting me finish my sentence: “Maybe your blanket is softer. Maybe I should get under the covers with you.”

Griffin and Dee snuggle up next to one another and lay sleepily in bed, trying not to wake up Amelia (age 4) who is sleeping on the floor.

Griffin, after a few moments of silence: “Dee?”

Dee: “Yeh, baby?”

Griffin: “Nothing. I just needed a little company.”

Dee, no longer sad to have been awoken so early, heart overflowing with love after hearing, “Nothing. I just needed to know you were there,” quietly rubs Griffin’s back and silently declares: “Don’t worry, baby. I’m right here. I’m always right here.”

No comments:

Post a Comment