Monday, January 23, 2012

The Parental Non-Parent

We didn’t have a camera crew following us around to film an episode of House Hunters, but my best friend and I did look at a lot of houses and have a lot of House Hunters-ish conversations when she decided that it was time for her to become a homeowner a few years ago. Once she decided on and purchased her house, I fulfilled my friend-ly duty of helping prepare the house for her arrival and helping her move. I’ve visited the house many times and for many reasons since that move, but I had a new experience yesterday as I approached the front door and heard a tiny baby’s cry. After her husband greeted me with a huge papa-like hug, I laid eyes on my best friend’s baby for the first time. She was beautiful. And all I could think was, “She made that…”

Around the time of the aforementioned move, I had the privilege of leading worship for one week of Acteens camp. My best friend was actually there with me. We used to sing together. During our time at camp, we worked with a group of aspiring guitar players and taught them to play a song for worship. Two years later, I re-crossed paths with one of those aspiring guitar players and sat in awe as she led worship for the retreat I was attending. That re-acquaintance began a beautiful friendship that has resulted in countless hours of theological discussions, music, laughter, and golf cart rides. I sang in her wedding a couple of years ago and attended her and her husband’s baby’s gender-reveal party yesterday. With tears of joy in my eyes, I watched video footage of the baby growing in her belly and I stood in awe of the fact that I will have the privilege of being part of another baby’s existence in this world…

From my writing from a couple of weeks ago, I think it’s obvious that I love my niece and nephews very much. Over the weekend, I was able to see all five of them, and I laughed with and loved on each of them until I felt my heart overflowing with a love so deep that it cannot be expressed…

I don’t know what it’s like to be a parent. But I know what it is to love. And I know how it feels to watch the people I love attempt to grow into the individuals God has created them to be…

So a few years ago, before the house, before the group of aspiring guitar players, before most of my nephews and niece were born, I wrote a song to express my love for my youth when I knew that God was calling me away. For some reason, the song turned very parental…

I find myself singing this song again today, especially the chorus…to my best friend’s beautiful girl, and my guitar-playing friend’s baby in utero, and my Jack and Henry and Griffin and Charlie and Amelia…and to you, my friends and family members, whom I so deeply love and in whom I so deeply believe…

Your First Day
© 2004 D. Deaton

Time moves so fast
Life changes so much
It was just yesterday
You let go of my touch
And went to school for your first day
Of Kindergarten

Now look at you,
You’re all grown up
Ready to face this world
On your own
I’ve done my best—given all I can
I hope that it’s enough

I hope that you know how much I care
That you know life is a journey to share
No matter where you go or what you do
My love will be true

I want to hold on
But I know I can’t
I must once again
Let go of that hand
And trust the God who changed my life
By placing you in it

Love is not love
Unless given a choice
I pray you choose wisely
Listen to that voice
Instilled in you—cheering for you
Through joys and sorrows

I pray that you know that I believe in you
That you know that God believes in you, too
No matter where you go or what you do
Our love will be true

Time moves so fast
Life changes so much
It was just yesterday
You let go of my touch
And went to school for your first day
Of Kindergarten

No comments:

Post a Comment