Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Bedtime Manners (written 1.2.12)

One week ago tonight, I was at my grandmother’s house sleeping in “The World's Most Comfortable Bed.” Beside me on the floor lay my nephew, Griffin, and my niece, Amelia. As is always the case when on aunt duty, one ear slept while the other stayed awake, so as soon as Amelia stirred my entire body awoke to join my ear.

I watched as Amelia swiftly sat up, reached to the bottom of the bed, pulled up the blanket, and attempted to spread it over her. After trying for a minute, getting the blanket more and more twisted with each try, Amelia asked, “Could someone please help me with my blanket?”

Immediately, Aunt Dee sprang into action and spread the quilt evenly over Amelia’s little body. Shortly after settling back into my own covers, I heard two little squeaks of gas. Understanding that we all pass gas, I didn’t think anything of the two little bursts and simply turned to go to sleep.

But out of the mouth of a sleeping babe, I heard, “Excuse me” (emphasis on the “s”), then a sigh, then the sounds of steady little girl breathing. Content under her covers, gas expelled, my beautiful little Amelia, never fully awake, drifted back to dreamland…where her manners must be excellent if they are anything like they are in her sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment