Thursday, June 3, 2010

Everyone Is Fighting A Great Battle


"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." Philo of Alexandria

As I got out of my car to walk into work this morning, I overheard part of a conversation between two of the men who work in the building. As one of the guys was getting his stuff ready for the day, the other one approached him and asked how his wife was doing. The first man responded with something about his wife's treatment...and I was suddenly reminded that his wife had been diagnosed with cancer and that his world had been greatly shaken. Yet...he continues to come to work each day and function with the focus and energy to get his job done.

Thinking about this contradiction--inwardly falling apart and being filled with fears and doubts while outwardly holding things together and projecting strength and certainty--caused me to remember Philo of Alexandria's quote, "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."

Though I know it's true in my own life--that I often project a different emotional reality than the one I'm really feeling underneath my outward appearance--I sometimes forget that it's true in other people's lives as well. Despite what people project, we are all fighting a great battle...whether that battle be sickness, depression, addiction, envy, rage, anger, hurt, abuse, grief, finances, wayward children, strained marriages, struggles with self-image, struggles with self-worth, questions of faith, questions of call, questions of life's meaning, or any combination of these things and more...

We are all fighting a great battle...even those we have trouble loving...and I need to remember that today.

I need to remember that, in our battles, we each need to be reminded of our dignity and worth and that God's love is steady through everything that we face. I need to remember that, as such, my encouragement and representation of God's love should be steady as well and that I should not become so self-focused that I forget to notice the lives around me and play my part in showing this world kindess.

I hope you will remember those things, too...and that together we can impact the people of this world who are at battle with themselves...one person at a time.

------

Here there is no Greek or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all. Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:11-17

No comments:

Post a Comment