Monday, April 26, 2010

Safe Place


As I was settling into my job and writing events onto my calendar for the year, I didn't realize that having the the National Missionary Parents Fellowship Retreat in SC was an event special to this year. But it was. And I'm so glad I was able to go.

My official job was to run the AV booth, and I had a super time doing it. My unofficial job was to be a welcoming presence--someone there to talk, listen, and observe. I enjoyed doing that as well. Both of these jobs were good for me because 1) they used my gifts, talents, and interests and 2) they fit with my passions. I enjoy all things musical and have a working knowledge of operating AV equipment; I support building upon people's interests and experiences; and I believe in creating safe places for people to move and "be."

Moreso than anything I did over the weekend, though--really my part was EXTREMELY small--the Missionary Parents Fellowship created a safe place for parents/grandparents...and it was so very beautiful.

The Fellowship, that exists within individual states that come together for a retreat every two years, provides a place for missionary parents to come together and share their journeys as parents/grandparents of missionaries on the field. It is a place where raw emotion can be expressed and deep feelings released. It is a place of prayer and praise, of grief and celebration. It is a place where missionary parents can share endless pictures and stories and be totally understood. It is a place of help, encouragement, and healing. It is a safe place.

We all need safe places. We all need places we can go and be ourselves and have absolutely no fear of rejection. As Christians, we know we have that place with God and we desire to share the beauty of God's grace and love with those around us. But I think we need tangible places of safety as well--spaces on this earth where we can openly and honestly face both the ugly realities of life and beautiful joys of the same.

Where are your safe places? With a person? A group? A place of retreat? A counselor or coach's office? An online community? A place yet to be determined?

Wherever they are, be thankful today.

And...consider being a safe place for those around you: trustworthy, loving, gentle, kind, non-judgmental, non-anxious...like Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment