Thursday, August 17, 2023

Love Bombs

 Jimmy was an awkward kid,

Unique,

Somewhat of an outcast.

Students at his school picked on him for being

Different,

And it was hard.

But instead of returning hate with hate,

Jimmy returned love.

Instead of spewing mean words of dislike,

Jimmy threw love bombs.

 

I don’t know exactly how Jimmy threw his,

But over the years,

I’ve learned to throw my love bombs as a form of prayer.

 

I breathe in whatever I’m feeling,

Be it deep frustration, aggravation, annoyance, impatience,

Or joy, compassion, pride, and empathy.

 

Then I breathe out light, love, happiness, patience, and everything good—

For me, and for the students or teachers that challenge me…

Or for whom I have a super special place in my heart.

 

This week, in addition to whole class love bombs,

I have thrown love bombs at a kid whose father died over the summer,

a kid who peaked out of line and said,

“Ms. Deaton? Ms. Deaton? It’s me, C. Do you remember me? C?”

And a kid who brought me a Harry Potter keychain.

 

One kid is an easy favorite.

One kid is one with whom I struggle,

And the other kid is both.

But love bombs cover them all.

 

May we be a people who act as Jimmy acted,

Turning weapons on their heads and using them for good,

And holding to the hope that love covers all.  

 

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment