Thursday, August 3, 2023

Angel of Light

 Before I left for Europe,

I asked mom and dad if they would like a souvenir from the trip.

Dad immediately responded, “Oh yes!”

I said, “What type of souvenir would you like?

Something practical, something decorative, something unique…?”

Dad thought for a moment and said,
“You choose. You’ll know it when you see it.”

And I did.

 

After touring one church every day of the trip,

We arrived at St. Stephen’s Cathedral in Passau, Germany.

Other than Saint Mattias’s Church in Budapest,

Which was right beside our hotel and which also allowed me to climb to the second floor,

Of all the churches we visited,

I liked this one best.

I was drawn to the explanation of

The bottom of the cathedral not being highly decorated to represent the crudeness of humanity,

The intricate pillars representing the bridge of Christ,

And the beautiful paintings at the top of the building representing the glories of heaven.

I was also drawn to the explanation of

The pulpit being like a throne in the middle of the congregation.

Evidently, that is where the people could hear best.

[Remember: European cathedrals were built long before sound systems were invented.

I had not thought of this fact. Duh.]

Finally, I enjoyed an organ concert while looking at the altar that represented Trinity God.  

Sometimes in European churches I don’t know which Saint or ruler I’m looking at.

I always find it refreshing when I find who I know to be one part of or the whole of Trinity God.

 

After the organ concert,

JG wanted to visit the church store.

So we did.

And that’s when I saw it.

 

There were lots of unique figurines in the case,

But this one spoke to me.

 

Every morning,

My dad sits at the kitchen table for about two hours and does his devotions.

He very often ends up in tears,

And he quite often raises his hands in the air in hallelujah.

In short, he reaches toward heaven every day,

Like this “Angel of Light.”

(I didn’t know that was its name until after I’d made the purchase and gotten the worker to translate the German for me,

But I think the name is perfect).

 

When I got home and presented dad with his gift,

He was distracted by news of a friend receiving a potential cancer diagnosis,

So he didn’t pay it much mind.

 

But later,

He saw it,

And he cried.

He thought it was so beautiful,

And he placed it on the kitchen table where he does his devotions.

“Try looking at that every day when doing your devotions,” he said.

“It’ll do something to you.”

 

God: Thank you for speaking to us in very real ways—in churches and gift shops overseas, and at kitchen tables right here at home. Continue speaking. Continue being honored. Through the ornate and elaborate and through the humbly simple. You are the God of it all. Thank you. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment