Thursday, January 19, 2023

Waffle House

 When my parents and I went to Waffle House last Friday night,

There were only two people working:

A black cook, and

A white waiter.

 

The cook was very good and pleasant.

The waiter was very slow and non-cholent.

 

The restaurant was full and very under-staffed for a Friday night.

We saw at least five groups, couples, or individuals leave

Because they didn’t want to wait.

 

As we were finishing our meal,

Two white grandparents came in with their grandson.

There was a table available, but it was not clean.

Seeing this, and being finished with all of his orders,

The cook went over and cleaned the table.

The family stood aside and waited.

 

The next thing I know,

Instead of sitting down at the table,

The granddad is storming out of the restaurant spewing curse words and threats.

His wife and grandson followed,

The grandson looking confused.

I heard, “…kick your ass…” and “from the first moment I saw you.”

 

I looked to the cook and the waiter.

They were both just standing there watching the family leave.

I couldn’t tell if the man had been spewing hate at

The lazy white waiter who had a bit of a sarcastic mouth or

The hardworking black cook who just happened to be black.

 

I really hope it was the former.

 

God, let it have been the former.

 

Because we really do need to get beyond judging people by the color of their skin.

 

Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment