Thursday, January 5, 2023

More To The Story

 My brother and sister-in-law gave me a Stanley travel mug for Christmas.

I had no idea that they are quite the rage,

But they are,

And now I’m hanging with the in-crowd! 😊

 

While at coffee with a friend on Tuesday afternoon,

As we discussed my new mug,

She shared with me that Stanley has a lifetime guarantee on many of their products.

She knew this because of a passing comment that someone made to her years ago.

 

Isn’t it odd how some moments and comments stick with us when we least expect it?

 

A few months ago,

On my weekly trip to the grocery store,

I saw an abandoned cart in the middle of the parking lot.

When I stopped to take a picture,

My shopping friend asked what I was doing.

I said, “I thought I’d capture this image in case I wanted to write a note about it.

I don’t understand why people can’t just walk a few extra steps to put their carts away.

It seems selfish and rude to leave your cart in the middle of the parking lot.”

Her response surprised me.

Instead of agreeing with me, she said,
“No. Don’t write about that.

There are lots of reasons people don’t return their carts—

Mobility issues being the main one.”

I thought about it for a moment as we walked through the parking lot,

And then I mostly forgot about it…

Except for the fact that her comment comes to mind every day I see a stray shopping cart.

 

Now, instead of getting annoyed with the cart,

I find myself wondering if its user had mobility issues,

Or if they had children they didn’t want to leave unattended.

Maybe. Maybe not. I will never know.

But at least I now send curiosity and grace into the world

Instead of judgment and bitterness.

 

When I received my Stanley travel mug for Christmas,

I had no idea that it was trendy.

I had no idea that it was an expensive mug.

I simply thought it a nice, new mug that I could use for coffee every day.

 

When I saw that cart in the parking lot that day,

I had no idea that there had been scientific studies on shopping cart return.

I had no idea that it was a touchy subject for some.

I simply thought that everyone should return their carts to the receptacle. Point blank.

 

But friends:

I’m being reminded--

There is always more to the story.

 

God: Thank you for my friend’s passing comment that has helped me become more curious and graceful instead of judgmental and bitter. Help us all, God, to become more curious and graceful instead of judgmental and bitter and help us always to remember that there is more to the story of what is initially seen. There is depth and feeling and emotion…and with you, God, there is always a lifetime guarantee. Thank you. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment