Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Tin Art Mentor

Thomas-The-Tin-Art-Teacher is a retired psychologist.

I knew that he was welcoming, gracious, non-anxious, and kind,

But I didn’t know that he was a doctor until I stumbled upon his bio online.

When Hurricane Fran hit NC in 1996, Thomas found himself with a damaged roof.

Because the damage was minor compared to the devastation faced by so many,

Thomas decided to do the roof repairs himself.

When he finished, he became fascinated with the metal that was left over,

The scrap metal,

And therein began his work with Tin Art.

Over the years, Thomas has honed his craft through books, workshops, and practice.

He’s won ribbons at the NC State Fair and has sold art in a couple of different galleries.

He teaches a handful of classes each year,

And I’ve had the privilege of going to three of his classes.

 

After my third class with Thomas-The-Tin-Art-Teacher,

I decided to put my learning into practice at home.

I made quite the investment and

Bought tins, tin snips, a can opener, a rubber mallet, an anvil, a hammer, bonsai scissors, wood, nails, sawtooth picture hangers, wood stain, and work gloves

And got to work.

I’ve deconstructed about 50 tins.

I’ve drawn blood in the process.

I’ve figured out two quilt square patterns.

I’ve made about 10 quilt squares.

I’ve brainstormed about how to combine Tin Art and Blackout Poetry.

I’ve made one combination piece.

I’ve created a workstation in my office and

I’ve created a workstation in the garage.

And most importantly,

I’ve introduced Amelia-The-Niece to a new art medium.

I’ve taught her how to deconstruct a can

And guided her through the process of creating her own piece.

 

On the back of her piece,

She wrote:

Amelia, 11/25/2022

Nana’s House

Mentor: Aunt Dee

 

Amelia called me her Tin Art mentor!

I felt so extremely honored and humbled she wrote those words.

Now, I can only hope that when Amelia thinks of me,

She thinks of someone who is welcoming, gracious, non-anxious, and kind,

Just like Thomas The Tin-Art-Teacher Psychologist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment