Thursday, November 10, 2022

Bringing Out The Best

 While I knew that ordering and receiving instruments from around the world would be fun,

I didn’t know that it would also be meaningful.

Ricky The Drum Maker made it meaningful.

Here’s our story.

 

About a week after placing my order for a custom-made Native American Drum,

I received a message from the drum maker apologizing for the delay.

He had just had full-hip replacement surgery.

Even so, he was very concerned that I receive my order in a timely manner.

I wasn’t concerned at all, nor was I thinking there had been a delay in response-time.

 

The drum maker introduced himself as Ricky and asked if there was an emphasis that I wanted him to have as he made the drum.

I told him that I wanted it to be something that reached my students.

I wrote: “I want them to understand that Native American people were on this land long before the white man came to destroy so much rich culture. I want them to know that Native American spirit and tradition till exist and should be honored and recognized.”

 

He responded: “You seem like a wonderful person. And I admire your desires. I will put that kind of effort and love into making this drum for you.”

And he did.

 

Throughout the drum making process,

Ricky The Drum Maker and I chatted.

We chatted about the process, and we chatted about life.

Ricky had been a hospital chaplain before he retired.

We shared chaplaincy experiences and deemed that the work that the other had been doing was good, important work.

We chatted about family, religion, education, and Native American culture.

The conversation was always sprinkled with sentiments of admiration and respect,

And I was actually sad when Ricky finished the drum and our friendly exchanges ended.

 

As I was sharing this story with Joe,

And talking about how difficult endings are for me—

Even endings with a drum maker in Oregon!—

Joe said:

“Your friendship with Ricky The Drum Maker is what all human relationships should be:

A reminder of a person’s inherent goodness and kindness.

You each reflected in the another the best parts of your selves,

And for that, you can always be grateful.”

 

And for that, I WILL always be grateful,

Especially when I play my custom-made drum,

Made by my friend Ricky The Drum Maker.

 

People come and go in our lives.

Some are meant to stay.

Some are meant to leave.

All can build up and help us grow if we let them.

May we let them today.

And may we return the goodness in kind.

Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment