Monday, August 22, 2022

Blessing of the Backpacks

I’d never been to a Blessing of the Backpacks before yesterday, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. It was really very simple, though. Sing a congregational chorus; walk to the altar with your backpack or workbag; stand with your hand open to catch the words of blessing; close your hand around the blessing and transfer it to your heart to receive it; sing the congregational chorus once more:

 

Take, oh, take me as I am.

Summon out what I shall be.

Set your seal upon my heart

And live in me.

 

There were probably ten people at the altar receiving the Blessing of the Backpacks.

 

I could have been the only one, though, because everything else faded away as I focused on Pastor Ann’s words.

 

In typical Deanna-fashion, I cried. I felt silly as tears welled in my eyes, but I couldn’t stop them as I heard::

 

God of fresh starts and new beginnings

We bring ourselves, our big feelings, and our backpacks to you.

In them, we carry the tools we need for school and work.

In our hearts we carry big feelings, unanswered questions, and hopeful expectations.

There are endless possibilities for what this new school year might bring--

Of what we might learn, what we might accomplish, who we might meet, and who we might become.

God our friend who is always with us, be with us through it all.

Be with us as we travel to school and from work.

Be with us as we prepare for each day.

Bless each day’s journey into something new.

Also be with those who travel with us, learn with us, and work with us.

Give them what they need each day.

God of love and care,

Bless our hands and fill our hearts for the school and work that lie ahead of us.

Amen.

 

And amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment