Monday, June 20, 2022

Bullet

 October 13, 2008:

 

I have a new goal in life: to get my neighbor's dog to let me pet him. He's a little yippy dog that used to annoy me. All he would do is bark incessantly and pee on my car tires. But in watching my dad befriend him, and in learning the dog's story, I have changed my opinion of him. The dog, Bullet, was likely abused or neglected by his previous owner. My neighbor found him and brought him home. Knowing this, I have sympathy for the little guy. So I’m claiming it: Bullet will like me one day! He’s already the background on my phone.

 

December 30, 2010:

 

Bullet Williams Deaton is laying on a towel on the couch beside me.  Since returning home from a few days in Florida, I have been scratched by Bullet's long paws as my attention has been demanded, my hands and arms have been licked in affection, and my cheek has been kissed.  I have played tug of war with Bullet and his favorite toy and I have played catch with Bullet's Build-A-Bear--both of which I gave him.  I have spent countless dollars on dog treats and dog toys, not because I am still trying to win Bullet’s affection but because I have already won it and he has won mine.  Bullet makes me itch, sheds terribly, and stinks, but I love him.  And he loves me.  And watching his devotion to my dad is one of the cutest things I have ever seen.  My dad is big man; Bullet is a little dog.  Watching Bullet follow my dad around the house and hearing my dad talk to the little guy truly warms my heart.

 

June 20, 2022:

 

Bullet is an old man now. From my notes, we know that he’s at least 14, but we project that he’s closer to 16, and possibly older than that. Bullet’s gone from 22 pounds at his height of plump happiness to just over 16 pounds. He must eat a special diet that’s not hard on his kidneys, but he still loves food!

 

Bullet can’t see or hear. Sometimes, he has trouble standing and walking. He uses a ramp to get on and off the porch at his house and now eats outside at our house because he can no longer get up and down the steps. His days of sleeping on couches and papasan chairs are over, and his days of spending long hours in the house are gone. Bullet can no longer control his bowels or bladder.

 

And yet Bullet is still so very loved. His parents, Mack and Olga, take care of him day in and day out, lovingly tending to all of his needs. And my dad, his seemingly all-time favorite person, still goes to visit him every afternoon at 4, walking him a little bit, talking to him, and feeding him the food that brings him some of the last bit of pleasure that he has. As for me, I don’t see Bullet very much anymore. Sometimes I wish that he would come into the house and jump up on the couch with me, but I know that will never happen again. It makes me sad. And yet…I know that he has lived a good, long life.

 

I don’t know how much longer Bullet will be with us, but for as long as we have him, we will keep on loving him because he deserves to be loved.

 

May we all hold our animals dear…but may we hold our loved ones dearer…for we each, like Bullet, deserve to be loved.

 

Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment