Thursday, October 21, 2021

Illusion of Safety

I’ve had principals who didn’t go to work very often; I’ve had principals who work every day.

 

I’ve had principals who rarely came out of their office; I’ve had principals who are in hallways and classrooms almost all day.

 

I’ve had principals who led with lots of words but few actions; I’ve had principals who lead with lots of actions and few words.

 

I’ve had principals who left school before duty was over; I’ve had principals who intentionally assign themselves to duty so that they can be a familiar face to parents as well as students.

 

The latter is what happened to me for car duty this year. My principal WANTED to do car duty. He WANTED to put himself in the elements to input the names onto the afternoon car rider sheet. He WANTED to do my beloved job…and so…I’m now the Stop Sign Holder.

 

For the first couple of weeks, both the parents and I struggled with this change in afternoon car rider procedure. I had many parents tell me that they missed me and I was able to say in return that I missed them back.

 

As I stood holding the stop sign, I often felt that I was just an illusion of safety. The teachers in the middle only let six car-loads of students go at a time and they don’t let students move until all cars have stopped. There is a line where the first car should stop. Parents know to stop when their kid isn’t in the car. They know to go when their kid is. It seemed that the job of Stop Sign Holder job was pointless. It seemed that I went from being super needed at car rider duty to not being needed at all…

 

But then I realized that some people actually depend on the illusion of safety; they won’t go unless they see the word “go.” I realized that I can smile and wave at all of the parents and students as they leave. I realized that some students will roll down their windows just to tell me bye. I realized that I can still talk to some parents. And I realized that I can direct traffic when we have the occasional back-up like we did yesterday.

 

Yesterday, three different students didn’t see their names, so we had three cars backed up in line. One car is somewhat normal. We have a plan for that. Two cars is occasional. But three cars is almost unheard of! So I had to think quickly and come up with a plan…and that plan was to direct traffic around the stopped cars. It seems so simple. But it made me feel so important.

 

So I guess I’ve been reminded of a fundamental life-lesson this year. Every job, no matter how seemingly insignificant, can be important. Every role, no matter how seemingly un-needed, can be useful. The fingernail may not be nearly as crucial as the heart, but the fingernail still has a purpose.

 

As Romans 12:4-5 says: For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 

 

I am but one member of a team, a body, and I belong to the others. As such, may I be the best doggone Stop Sign Holder there is! And may you be the best doggone whatever and whoever you are, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment