Monday, October 25, 2021

7-year-old In Worship

Taps on shoulder,

In a whispered voice,

“My mom told me I could come sit with you because my brother is being intentionally annoying.”

 

And that is how I ended up sitting beside a 7-year-old for the majority of worship yesterday.

 

This is what I observed:

 

7-year-olds, even ADHD 7-year-olds, CAN participate in community worship--

If there is something tangible to guide them.

My church’s liturgy is typed out in an extensive bulletin.

The prayers, scripture readings, creeds, and communion liturgy are all written out so that they can be followed.

The hymns are printed in the hymnbook.

I used my finger to guide my 7-year-old through the entire service.

He stood when it was time to stand.

He read as best as he could when it was time to read.

He sang as best as he could when it was time to sing.

During the sermon, he drew the banners decorating the church.

During communion, he received a blessing.

After the service, he proudly displayed his day’s drawing on the church bulletin board.

There is an entire section of the board reserved for his creations.

I don’t know about you,

But I think that all of this is beautiful.

 

I also observed this:

 

As a musician,

I appreciate holding a hymnal and following the music.

As an educator, I appreciate the same.

Children, in general, have trouble tracking.

Therefore, to put lyrics on a screen and expect them to follow is unrealistic.

In my opinion, it takes away from their ability to participate in worship.

[And this opinion doesn’t even address what children are losing music educationally by not having music to follow…]

 

I know.

There are a lot of worship debates.

Hymns vs. choruses.

Choir vs. praise team.

Hymn books vs. screens.

Bulletins vs. none.

Community worship vs. separate children’s worship.

And I know they can’t easily be solved.

 

But what I learned yesterday is this:

Children can participate in community worship

If there is something tangible to guide them.

I am thankful that I was part of that something tangible yesterday,

And I am humbled by the raw simplicity of a 7-year-old’s worship.

 

“I love you, God” is what my 7-year-old drew on his paper yesterday.

 

I love you, God, is how I end this note today.

No comments:

Post a Comment