Friday, March 19, 2021

Sign Followers

 

As of yesterday,

I’m fully vaccinated.

My left arm is sore to prove it.

 

And yet, I will still go to the grocery store, masked,

Late at night or early in the morning

Whenever I have the option.

 

I’ve gotten used to less crowds.

I’ve gotten used to one-way aisles.

I’ve gotten used to going up and down every aisle in its turn.

 

What I’ve not gotten used to, though,

Is people not following the aisle-rules.

It makes me uncharacteristically angry.

 

There are clear signs:

One Way or Wrong Way—

And yet people blatantly ignore the signs.

 

I’m sure that this is a metaphor for life.

I’m sure that there are literal and figurative signs around us

Telling us which way to go.

 

Yet we ignore them

Out of convenience.

We ignore them because it’s easier.

 

And then we get in people’s way.

We make things difficult.

We put lives at risk

 

Because we don’t follow the signs

That are meant to guide us

And keep us safe.

 

Dear God: Help us to be sign-followers.

And forgive us, forgive me, for harshly judging others

When they are not.

 

Help us to remember that

It is only our actions that we can control.

And help us to follow your guidance, even when it’s hard.

 

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment