Thursday, November 26, 2020

Thanks + Giving

 

Contrary to what it might seem, we are not huge Christmas decorating fans at the Deaton Household. We especially don’t anxiously debate how soon is too soon to decorate for Christmas because, truthfully, we’re often lucky to get decorated for Christmas at all!

 

“So, why are you decorated before Thanksgiving this year?” you might ask.

 

Because our sweet Amelia started a tradition that, after Thanksgiving, she would with us and help us decorate for Christmas. She did it last year and looked forward to it all year this year…and I don’t think her time here disappointed her.

 

“Wait,” you might say. “Thanksgiving is today. Have you gone back to the future?”

 

No. My family celebrated Thanksgiving together with a socially distant celebration on Sunday. Afterwards, Amelia chose to spend her entire Fall Break at our house, helping mom put up the mantle decorations, the main tree, the Hallmark bands, and other miscellaneous items; and helping me set out the nativity scenes, purchase and organize my secret Santa gifts, make my first gingerbread house, and put up a second tree in the music room (under mom’s supervision).

 

We had an absolutely glorious time…and…the house is decorated for Christmas!...

 

A good friend of mine posted something this morning that really made me think. In essence, the word Thanksgiving is made of two words: thanks + giving. I know, for me, I always focus on the first part of the word during the Thanksgiving season. I give thanks for friends and family, home and work, food and drink, indoor plumbing and outdoor fire pits. I encourage my students to give thanks for their teachers and their other blessings. I give thanks openly and readily on Thanksgiving Day, exchanging text and Facebook messages with friends near and far. But how often do I give? And what can I give today that will make someone else’s life better?

 

Amelia gave her time to me and my family this Thanksgiving season. She gave her smile and laughter, her creativity and strength. And she made our lives better.

 

So what can you give today? Tomorrow? This Thanks-giving and beyond? Let’s give thanks, yes. Absolutely give thanks! We cannot give thanks enough!

 

But, friends, let’s not forget the giving. For Thanks-giving comes in two parts. And for both, we can, and should, be grateful.     

No comments:

Post a Comment