Thursday, February 13, 2020

Breathtaking

I was looking through some old poems this week when I came across a series of haiku that I wrote on my first international trip. On day one, after what seemed like an Amazing Race adventure to get there, my aunt and I climbed on a tour bus in Iceland and went to what was one of the most beautiful sights I’ve ever seen. I remember standing there breathless, tears in my eyes, because I was so taken by the beauty. When I could think again, I wrote. And I kept on writing. All through the trip to Iceland and on to Scandinavia, I wrote. Because it’s the only thing I could do to try to capture the amazement of the world:

(i)
This raging water
May be the most beautiful
I have ever seen

(ii)
Rich diversity
I am beyond overwhelmed
And simply amazed

(iii)
Volcano erupt
Mold and decorate the land
Green moss, brown boulders

(iv)
It’s a big small world
People everywhere the same
Yet very diff’rent

(v)
11:45pm
Late, brilliant color
Magnificent, deep, beautiful
Baltic Sea nights.

(vi)
Nothing compares to
The majesty of nature
Unadult’rated

Friends: This world really is a beautiful place…and even the world around us will show its beauty when we open our eyes to see.

When is the last time that something captured your spirit and took your breath away? What was it? Please share. I’d love to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment