Thursday, December 12, 2019

Treat Everyone As A Gift

Have you ever ordered something you wanted online, forgotten that you ordered it, and then surprised yourself with the order when it arrived?

Or have you ever ordered a gift online and then found yourself full of joy and excitement when it arrived—as if you had gotten yourself the gift?

Such has been my life this Christmas season. I’ve ordered myself a few things for school. I’ve ordered my family and friends many things as gifts. And every time, I’ve been excited (and sometimes surprised) when the package has arrived. I’ve found my heart racing as I’ve opened the boxes and I’ve found myself smiling as I’ve removed the packaging to reveal the treasure inside…

Wouldn’t it be neat if we did the same thing with people? Not order them online or cut them open. That would be sketchy and gross. But what if we found ourselves filled with excitement when someone showed up in our lives and we got the opportunity to get to know them and learn what lies beneath what we immediately see?

Yes. This usually takes time. Getting to know someone is not as easy as removing loose packaging. But what if we saw each person as a gift and treated them as such? Even in brief encounters, what if we treated the person as someone or something special?

I know it’s hard in the rush of the holiday season to see anyone or anything other than ourselves and our to-do list. But let us together remember the wise saying: “Be kind to everyone you meet, for everyone is fighting a great battle.” And everyone needs to be seen and celebrated for who they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment