Monday, May 13, 2019

Big Rev and Little Rev's Prayer

My dad and I almost walked down the aisle beside each other yesterday…but we were too big to fit side-by-side so I sent him ahead and walked behind him with my hand on his arm. Big Rev and Little Rev co-officiated a wedding for the first time, and I couldn’t be prouder to have stood by his side.

As we prepared for the wedding, my dad introduced me to a prayer of blessing that he has used at a couple of his weddings. The prayer pretty much summarizes everything that he wishes for the couple…and it also summarizes pretty much everything that I hope for myself and those around me.

After some edits, the prayer reads as follows. I pray that you will feel it being prayed over you right now, friend, for you are loved.

“Bless us, oh God, as we continue our journey down life’s road. We don’t know what lies ahead, for the road turns and bends. But help us make the best of whatever comes our way.

Help us to always remember that nothing or no one is perfect and to look for the good in all things and all people—including ourselves. Help us, too, to enjoy those around us.

Help us to respect other person’s likes and dislikes, opinions and beliefs, and hopes and fears, even when we do not understand them.

Help us to learn from those around us and to help each other grow mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.

Help us to create peaceful, stable spaces of love to serve foundations on which our children can build their lives.

Help us hold to our loved ones and to know that, no matter what happens, things have a way of working out for the good.

And most of all, dear God, help us to love without ceasing so that our lives may be shining examples of your love to everyone we meet.

We love you. So much. Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment