Thursday, March 17, 2016

Willard Gets A Facelift

Willard is eight-and-a-half years old.
He was named after Willard the Walmart Greeter,
an older man in Asheboro, NC,
whom I once almost ran over with two carts full of summer camp stuff.
Willard’s best school friend is Wilhelmina.
She’s three years old.
Willard is a Dell Inspiron 1420.
Wilhelmina is a MacBook pro.
Wilhelmina comes from a nicer family than Willard.
She is lighter, younger, and faster than Willard.
Yet Willard is my steady old man:
persistent, tried, and true.

Such is the reason that I paid for Willard to have plastic surgery this week.

After leaping off of the sound system and knocking the energy out himself,
Willard got up with a completely disfigured face and two broken hinges.
While friends and family members suggested that I send Willard into a quiet yet noble retirement,
I knew that my Willard’s insides were still strong and that he was not ready to call it quits.
So yesterday, I sent my Willard home with Dr. Jeff for a brief surgical procedure.

After deciding that Willard’s procedure was routine and safe enough for me not to take a personal leave day for a family member’s surgery,
I was teaching class when I received the good news:
“Willard is out of surgery, is awake and alert. Everything went well and he will be coming home today!”
And he did!
Dr. Jeff delivered Willard to my mom early this afternoon, so that
Willard was waiting for me with a brand new face and mended hinges when I got home.

Willard will be reunited with Wilhelmina tomorrow,
And I know that she will find him more useful and handsome than ever—
Old man computer though he be.

No comments:

Post a Comment