Thursday, January 21, 2016

Strange

Has anyone ever said something to you that you found so strange that it took you a few days to comprehend?

Joe The Counselor did that to me on Tuesday night.

He suggested that I intentionally do something that I think will bring up feelings of anxiety and guilt so that I can pay attention to what those feelings feel like.

He said that when I start to feel guilty, I should say, “Oh, hey, Gil. You’re here a little sooner than I thought you’d be.” And then see what happens.

I looked at him like he was a bit strange, yet what he said has stuck with me all week.

This afternoon as I was discussing vacation plans with my mom, I heard myself saying something a bit strange:

I think maybe you and dad should just go on and drive to Florida. At least that way you’ll have some control over the situation. Because there’s not really anything you can control right now. The weather. The flights. If you make it to the boat on time. Although…you could just leave everything as is and use this whole experience as an exercise in feeling out of control. Pay attention to feelings that come up. Greet them and then feel them.

My mom didn’t say anything. I could tell she was thinking that I was a bit strange.

Yet, as strange as it sounded, I understood exactly what I was saying.

Every moment.
Every opportunity.
Every experience.
Good or bad.
Planned or unplanned.
Is a chance to learn and grow.
To examine life and observe habits that can be strengthened or let go.
To learn not to harshly judge or condemn but to accept what is.

Sometimes we just have to look at life through a non-traditional lens…strange as that lens may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment