Monday, January 11, 2016

A Light In Darkness

We didn’t have a teacher’s meeting today.
But I worked late anyway.
Cleaning my room, preparing for tomorrow,
Giving away random gifts.
When I walked into the building at 5:00,
The lights in the hallway were already off and
Some of the doors between buildings were already closed.
As I looked down the dark hallway,
I saw just one light.
Yet that one light literally radiated in the midst of darkness.
Before I could stop myself,
I caught myself thinking:
“That’s what I want my life to be.
A light in darkness.
A place where people are drawn.
A room in which others can clearly see.”

Now, as I write this brief post,
I find myself once again thinking about that light and
expanding the afternoon’s simple prayer:

Dear God,
Let the radiance of your light and love
scatter any gloom in our hearts tonight.
As daylight fills the sky, oh God,
fill each of us with your holy light, and
help us always to follow that light and live in truth.
May our lives mirror your love
whose wisdom has brought us into being,
whose care guides us on our way,
and whose presence restores us.
In you, we are born again as sons and daughters of light.
In you, we have the ability to be witnesses of love in all the world.
In you, we have freedom from desires that belong to darkness.
Fill us with your light.
Fill us with your hope.
Fill us with your peace.
We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
the Prince of Peace and Light of the World,
Now and forever,
Amen.


And amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment