Monday, June 1, 2015

Bullet's Wisdom

When I’m home for supper, Bullet thinks it mandatory to take me on an after-dinner walk. Tonight, as he walked me around the neighborhood,
I watched him as he ran around and peed on everything.
Then I watched as he lifted his leg and only one drop of pee came out.
Then I watched as nothing came out.
Then I found myself saying,
“Oops. You can try to mark your territory all you want, buddy,
But you don’t have any pee left in you.
I hope you got all the important stuff first.”

As I watched our fat little white dog bullet through the neighbors’ yards,
Trying his best to leave his mark,
I couldn’t help but think:
That’s what happens with us, too.
We run around,
From home to work to church to ballgames to meetings to friends to family,
Trying to leave our mark,
Trying to make a difference,
But the more we run,
The more we places we go,
The more we give,
The less we have to give,
Until we find ourselves showing up but leaving nothing
Because we have nothing left to give.

Our fat little white dog is currently snoring on the couch beside me.
He came home.
He drank a lot of water.
He went to visit a friend.
He came back and spent time on the porch with his favorite person in the world.
He sprawled out so that he could receive lots of touches and love.
Then he went to sleep.
Tomorrow, he’ll be ready to go back out and mark some more territory.

Eugene Cho beautifully writes:
Don't be overwhelmed.
Stay the course.
Be encouraged.
Be tenacious.
Do not quit.
Take heart.
Persevere.
Have faith.
Press on.
Trust.
God.

And Bullet says:
Go home.
Stay hydrated.
Spend time with those you love.
Enjoy nature.
Breathe deeply.
Love well.
Hug often.
Rest.

Then you can make your mark on the world.
wis

No comments:

Post a Comment