Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Beautiful Wishes

Have I mentioned recently that I’m an ENFJ? I will talk to you, hang out with you, dream with you, do everything I can to help you, believe in you, show up for you, think of and pray for you every time I see something that reminds me of you, and care for you for as long as you will let me. And then, when you decide that the intensity of our friendship has run its course, I will keep on loving you…and hope to God that the relationship comes to a peaceful point of closure.

Closure is so very important to me. Many times, time and circumstance provide natural closure. An understood goodbye. A farewell of mutual respect and well-wishes. People come. People go. Relationships fade. Mutual distance forms. It’s taken 37 years, but I’ve finally learned that. Yet I still haven’t learned how to hang in the balance of non-closure…how to move beyond statements like, “You have a HUGE heart and mean well, but I have no desire to have a friendship with you,” and then silence. Or just one-sided silence without the words. That’s not closure. That’s a cut off. And cut-offs are really hard for me...and they make me feel incredibly unimportant and unwanted.

I suppose that this need for mutual closure is part of the reason why it was important to me to say good-bye to my friends and coworkers who are leaving JES this year, and why it bothers me that I didn’t get to speak to them all. Truth be known, it bothers me that I didn’t get to tell my friends and coworkers who will be returning to have a good summer before leaving today. Closure. Temporary or permanent. For a friendship or a school year. It’s stupidly and ridiculously important to me.

And so…here is my simple attempt to take a step toward closure where closure is due tonight. Wherever it is due. Past friendships. Past jobs. Current friendships. Current jobs. I make for you Beautiful Wishes. Now and always. Love and Amen.

Be well, my friend, wher-
Ever you go. May God
Add God’s richest,
Unfathomable blessings to you. As they say,
“Today is the first day of the rest of your life,” so
Invite peace to rest in your soul and bask in the
Fullness of God’s steady purpose and grace. And remember:
Unicorns and fairies and minions really can exist inside your mind. So
Let them. And laugh. And don’t let anyone take a-
Way your joy or your spirit. They are yours. And they are beautiful. And
I love them. I love you. And I want the best for you.
So, be well, my friend, wherever you go. And know that my
Heart goes with you, cheering you on,
Encouraging your courage to fully live,
Saying now and always, forevermore: “I believe in you. No take backs.”

No comments:

Post a Comment