Thursday, May 29, 2014

Dirty Feet, Applesauce, and Plastic Lids

My feet are filthy. Bullet took me on an unplanned walk around the neighborhood, during which I was barefooted and dodging both rocks and dog poop. Bullet is an old-man dog who has become best friends with a younger woman dog, Millie, who is twice his size. Don’t worry. They won’t be making little Bullet-Millie puppies. They are just buddies who pal around the neighborhood—which is fine—except that Millie doesn’t have very good road sense and has been hit by cars twice and is therefore a bad example for Bullet who would not survive if hit by a car. And so I worry about their friendship walks while people are returning from work and I therefore go with them…never ceasing to be amazed at the fact that no matter how tired Bullet is, he always “bullets” home as fast as he can so that he can see my dad.

More than anything in this world, Bullet wants to spend time with my dad…even if it’s just to give him a quick love lick on his hand.



Yesterday, my sister-in-law, a first grade teacher, posted the following story:

A couple of months back many of you helped out a family I know. Today was the youngest one's birthday. He wanted everyone [in the class] to get a treat of apple sauce, and he brought in all that he had. I peeked in his cubby and saw three little cups of applesauce. Made me cry. I ran out during my lunch break to get some more. His little joyful spirit has truly touched my soul this year.

I shared this event with my choir last night and I cried. I shared this event with some of my coworkers today and I cried.

I am reminded of the Bible story of the boy who gave his loaves and fishes to feed the five thousand. I am reminded of the widow who gave all that she had at the temple. I am reminded of those in the early church who gave all they had to their growing community of faith. I am reminded that one person’s humble sacrifice can multiply, inspire, and bless more people than they ever thought possible.



One of my choir members collects plastic lids to raise money for children with cancer. I don’t know where she takes the lids or how exactly it works, but I know she takes all kinds of plastic lids that otherwise would end up filling a landfill and helps turn them into something positive. She said, “There’s not a lot that I can do to help people. But I can do this.”



Devotion to those you adore.
Sacrifice for those for whom you are grateful.
Service for the people and organizations for whom you care.
Love. Genuine love.
It’s everywhere,
Surrounding us,
Inspiring us,
Encouraging us,
Making us whole.
Thanks be to God.
Who is love.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment