Monday, November 25, 2013

The Plant Murdering Musician

In the past, I’ve killed two cacti and numerous aloe plants because I’ve cared for them too much.

Last night, I killed my favorite home plant: Purple Jew. That’s the plant’s given name. Not what I named him. I liked his given name so much that I didn’t rename him.

I got home from a lovely girl’s weekend to Wilmington yesterday afternoon and almost immediately fell into a funk. There were various reasons why the funk set in, but the biggest reason was an appointment that I’m dreading tomorrow. The appointment represents everything that I hate in this world and thoughts of it have made me so angry that I’ve shut down a few times. Last night was one of those times. I was in such an angry funk that I even got mad at The Mentalist. I was practically yelling at Jane toward the end of last night’s episode, and I’d never come anywhere close to doing that!

All that being said, I went straight to bed as soon as The Mentalist was over. I didn’t stop to consider that the world was beginning to freeze…

I got up early to go to school today. I figured out how to procure a substitute for tomorrow, went to school, worked until 6pm, came home and ate supper. Immediately after supper, I found myself playing piano in the music room. Shortly after, my friend Rebecca came over to practice a song for our church’s Thanksgiving service on Wednesday night. As we were preparing to part ways, I went to the porch for the first time since arriving home from girl’s weekend…

And that’s when I saw it: Purple Jew is in trouble. He froze last night. He’s wilting. I very well may have murdered him by my angry funk neglect last night. I promptly rushed him to the laundry emergency room and said a prayer that he would survive. Only time will tell if Purple Jew will survive.

I’ll tell you what will survive, though, even through my dreaded tomorrow: Laughter. Music. Friendship. Love.

And for those things during this Thanksgiving week, I am so very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment