Thursday, May 9, 2013

What I've Determined

I got to have lunch with my long-time friend Angela today. She was able to leave school for a few minutes of her teacher workday and eat more chicken with me at Chick-Fil-A.

As we were leaving, I said, “I need to go home and write my note for the day. I guess I’ll write something to honor teachers since it’s Teacher Appreciation Week. I don’t know what I’m going to write, but I’ll figure out something.” Angela said, “I’ll make sure to read.”

Well, Angela, and each of my other friends who teach, this is what I’ve determined:

Your job is extremely important even though policy makers, budget writers, and many people in the general public don’t recognize it as such. Education is the foundation needed for healthy society, and teachers essential to proper education.

Your work is extremely important. How you do your job matters. How you treat your students and the way in which you impart knowledge is both life-forming and purpose-giving. Your work has the power both to build and destroy.

You are extremely important. Independent of your job and work. Independent of your role of teacher, wife/husband, mother/father, daughter/son, friend. Independent of your accomplishments and titles. YOU are important. All of you. Hopes and dreams. Fears and failures. Certainties and uncertainties. Rest and play. You are important. And…

I’m glad you exist.

My guess is that you’ve heard these things before—that you’ve possibly even heard them this week as your schools have sought to appreciate you. But I hope you can hear them now anew and know that they come from a heart full of love and respect for your job, your work, and you.

When you start to doubt your purpose. When the oftentimes ridiculous demands of the job make you want to quit. When you are so tired that you could sleep for days. Remember that student whose life you know you changed for the better. Remember that passion that made you want to teach. Take a day off and rest. Nurture your spirit and soul so that you can be most fully yourself.

And…know that I believe in you and that your job, your work, and your life make a difference.

Thank you.

Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment