Friday, May 31, 2013

Because I Forgot Yesterday Was Thursday...

...I didn’t write my Thursday note.

It was an honest oversight.

Really.

I completed my final 24-hour on-call Wednesday. I was awake at 6:30am that morning and began steady work at 9am. I didn’t stop until 4:15am yesterday. The time in between those hours was beautifully wonderfully terribly tragically amazing.

Needless to say, I left the hospital a little tired. I took a short nap yesterday morning, but I still sort of felt like a zombie the rest of the day.

I also went to the skilled nursing facility at which I volunteer on a day that I normally do not go. I had the privilege of introducing a new volunteer to “my people” and got to celebrate a dear woman’s 94th birthday. But it felt like Tuesday.

And so.

In my zombie-like state, I forgot it was Thursday.

And I didn’t write my Thursday note.

Naturally, I was surprised when my mom looked at me this morning and said, “You didn’t ever post your Thursday note?”

Blankly, I said, “Oh. No. I never wrote it.”

So I’m writing it now.

And I’m not saying much in the process.

Because I’m still sort of zombie-ized.

And I’m itching because my leftover beach sunburn is peeling and I’m sitting beside Bullet to whom I’m allergic.

But I’m writing.

And discipline is important in writing.
And in keeping the kitchen clean.
And the rugs that get covered with dog hair.
And the refrigerator that fills with leftovers.
And the car that fills with travel mugs.
And the belly button that fills with lint.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment