Thursday, November 22, 2012

A Minor Thanksgiving Day Miracle

I know this sounds silly, but a minor miracle occurred during lunch today: I was able to taste my food. Not for the whole meal. But for just one moment. I could taste my food. And it was really good! As quickly as I could without muddling the flavors, I took one bite each of everything on my plate: turkey, rice/gravy, dressing, field peas, and carrots. I imagine that I looked kind of silly eating one bite of everything on my plate as quickly as I could. But no joke, after I’d tasted one bite of everything, my ability to taste went away again and I finished the meal with only a general idea of the taste of what I was eating—salty or sweet. It’s as if that one moment happened just for me.

We’re having our official Thanksgiving Meal on Saturday when the house will be full of kids and the table full of different foods. Maybe the congestion that has stolen both my taste buds and sense of smell will be completely cleared out by then. Maybe not. Maybe I’ll still be living in a smell-less, taste-less funk. Regardless, one thing I’ve learned this Thanksgiving season is that nothing is too small to be grateful for—especially not the senses of smell and taste. I don’t know that I’ll ever take them for granted again.

What is one thing you've experienced that you wouldn't trade for the world? Seeing my nephew fly into the world and my niece simply arrive.

What is one smell that always brings you comfort? The smell outside just after it begins to rain. I think it may actually be the smell of the pavement, but whatever it is, it always makes me smile.

What is one thing you appreciate about Thanksgiving Day? The relaxed pace and time set aside for rest. Our more action-filled celebration occurs on another day. And on this particular Thanksgiving Day, I appreciate the hope of getting well and being able taste and smell again.

Dear God, your creativity and attention to detail never cease to amaze me. For giving us five senses with which to live and enjoy life, thank you. For giving us food to eat and the ability to share with those in need, thank you. For being a God in whom our hope never fails, thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment