Thursday, September 20, 2012

Waiting With Open Arms

Today’s question of the day: If you could live the life of any Bible character for one week, then who would you choose? Do you have a particular week in mind?

My answer: The father in the story of the prodigal son…the week that the prodigal son comes home.

Other than Jesus himself, the father in this story is probably the most influential Bible character in my life. His love let his son go, realizing that he couldn’t keep him there, but never let him wander far from his heart or the hope of reconciliation and redemption. The father continued with his life. He took care of his responsibilities and remaining family yet looked down the road each day, praying for his son “to come to himself” and realize that he could come home. His father only wanted his son to come home. He only wanted to hold him in his arms and let him know that he was loved.

I want my love to be like the father’s. Steady. Hopeful. Believing. Forgiving. Unwavering. Always.

You came into my life and gave me a new song
We were very best of friends but then something went wrong
I compromised what’s right, didn’t always stand for Christ
And it hurts, life without you hurts

But without you I see what true love is meant to be
Not a game we’re meant to win, but a path we have to walk
Just like the Father of the son, waited with open arms
To embrace the hurt, he embraced the hurt

So you can hate me and curse my name
Run away in anger, write words to shame me
I understand, I understand
I still love you and I bless your name
I give Christ the anger, the hurt, the pain
And trust his hand, to take your hand
Because I can’t

If I’ve had a thousand friends, I’m lucky to have one
Whose light won’t fade away with the setting of the sun
But as the days come and go, we change as we grow
Though it hurts, growing apart hurts

But grasping to a string in the cold, dark, stale air
It won’t get you very far, it won’t get you anywhere
It’s crying out in the night and standing for what is right
That’ll heal the hurt, it’ll heal the hurt

So you can hate me and curse my name
Run away in anger, write words to shame me
I understand, I understand
I still love you and I bless your name
I give Christ the anger, the hurt, the pain
And trust his hand, to take your hand
Until I can

No comments:

Post a Comment