Thursday, September 6, 2012

Praying

There’s been a lot of praying going on this week. Me praying for others. Others praying for me. All of us praying for one another…and world peace :-).

Last night, I posted a status that said, “I'm pretty sure that if I entered a family and friends competition right now, then I'd win. I am blessed.” I mean that to the core of my being. I am blessed beyond words to have the friends and family members that I do. It’s one of those facts that I always know but that becomes overwhelmingly clear ever so often.

This week has been one of those weeks.

I’m thankful for the Book of Common Prayer. Yes, I’m Baptist, but I think there is much to learn about and experience of God in the Book of Common Prayer, and I know that when we don’t feel like faith is sustaining us, the words in its pages—the routine, the familiarity, the comfort of the words from saints throughout history—can move us through until we feel again.

And so today, I turn to the Book of Common Prayer to finish my note. Not because I don’t feel anything but because I feel too much and need help sorting through it all.

First, a Collect of Peace, 99:

O God, the author of peace and lover of concord, to know you is eternal life and to serve you is perfect freedom: Defend us, your humble servants, in all assaults of our enemies; that we, surely trusting in your defense, may not fear the power of any adversaries; through the might of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Last, The General Thanksgiving, pg. 101:

Almighty God, Father of all mercies,
We your unworthy servants give you humble thanks
For all your goodness and loving-kindness
To us and to all whom you have made.
We bless you for our creation, preservation,
And all the blessings of this life;
But above all for your immeasurable love
In the redemption of the world by our Lord Jesus Christ;
For the means of grace, and for the hope of glory.
And, we pray, give us such an awareness of your mercies,
That with truly thankful hearts we may show forth your praise,
Not only with our lips, but in our lives,
By giving up ourselves to your service,
And by walking before you
In holiness and righteousness all our days;
Through Jesus Christ our Lord,
To whom, with you and the Holy Spirit,
Be honor and glory throughout all ages. Amen.

God...thank you for the people in my life who show me grace, mercy, love, and redemption not only with their lips but also with their lives and service. I am blessed. And I thank you in ways that words cannot express. Amen. And amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment