Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Isn't That The Point


I just overheard this conversation:

"I'm going to dye eggs on Friday. Are you?"

"No. I gave that up for Lent."

"You gave up dying eggs for Lent?"

(Chuckling) "I gave up that and diet and exercise. I gave up a lot of things...No. I'm sure glad we Baptists don't practice Lent. If we did, then I'd have to give up something that really means a lot to me."


Umm. Isn't that the point? Didn't Jesus "give up" something that he really liked during this Lenten season? Didn't he "give up" or lose his life for taking a stand against practices that were unfair, unjust, and un-life-giving?

I, for one, am NOT glad that we Baptists don't practice Lent, because I, for one, think that we sometimes take the richness of our faith heritage for granted and do only that which is easy for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment