Monday, January 17, 2011

A Day's Reflection (and Confession)

When I taught music, one of my favorite units to teach was on Martin Luther King, Jr. During the month of January, especially with my kindergarten through second grade students, we learned about MLK, Jr. and talked about his dream of equality. We sang songs, learned sign language, read books, listened to sound clips of speeches, watched video clips, learned vocabulary, had discussions, and, in general, had a very good time learning.

When I told my students that "colored" people used to have to drink from different water fountains and go to different schools than "white" people, they were appalled. They did not understand the big deal about skin color nor did they think it fair to treat people differently based off of who they are. In my heart, I agreed. And in my heart today, I wonder why we, as the body of Christ, aren't appalled at the unfairness that we show people who are different from us or that we do not understand. I, for one, AM appalled...and I will be the first to confess that it is I, myself, who appalls myself more than anyone else.

You see, I have good intentions. With everything that I am, I believe that God created humankind in God's image and that God called us good. I believe that each person should be treated with dignity and worth and that each child deserves a chance to play. Yet, I give in to the convenience of superstores and companies that are bound to use child labor or exploit natural resources to produce their products, and I remain silent when I hear slander against "those people" for fear of oppression should I take a stand for what is right. I let broken relationships remain broken because I don't know how to begin to mend them. I let individuals live in loneliness because I do not know what to say or because I have too much to do to stop and truly listen. I drive by the homeless man on the corner because I have nothing but a $20 bill in my pocket. I buy plastic bottles of water, cans of soda, and fast food because they are convenient. I do not know who my political representatives are, nor do I contact them on issues of public policy. And I remain comfortable in my white privilege even though I have a passion and desire to give more back to this world...

I posted two songs on my Reverbnation Page today (www.reverbnation.com/deannadeaton). One of the songs, "If I Could" speaks to this struggle that is myself, and honestly confesses that I'd do all of the things that I know I should do if only I could. Yet. I should be able to, right?...

And the other of the songs is one of my favorites from my MLK, Jr. unit--from the 1st grade textbook--and it speaks the simple truth on which we should all stand: Everybody ought to know what freedom, justice, friendship, and happiness are...regardless of race, ethnicity, socio-economic level, stage of faith, occupation, weight, height, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, level of education, openmindedness, closedmindedness, tactfulness, age, type of shoe, type of clothing, medical status, or any other category in which we can classify humanity.

If we believe that God is love and that love transforms this world, then we must believe that it is Love that will transform what needs to be transformed in those from whom we are different and that love will honor that which can and should not be changed. And if we believe that, then our actions should follow that which we believe and our lives should be the first to lay evidence of the transforming work of Love.

As I have confessed, I am far from having it right. Yet, just as MLK, Jr. was by far not a perfect man, I believe that this imperfect girl with her imperfect life can hold to the dream and passion for healthy equality that lies within me...and that somehow, in some way, God can work with and create something alongside and within me that can--and will--make a difference. I believe that God can do the same with you. Will you hold to the dream with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment