Friday, August 27, 2010

A Jamaican Reflection


We've been back from Jamaica for almost two weeks now, but only today have I had a moment to intentionally reflect on my experience there. And here's what's odd: as much as I like to think, connect, and write, I don't know what to say about my trip except that it was really lovely.

Traveling with my coworkers and spending time with them away from the hustle and bustle of normal life...eating with them, talking with them, laughing with them, being silly with them, worshipping with them, enjoying God's beautiful creation together with them...

Not having to a cell phone signal that worked for text messaging or internet surfing and being cut off from the hustle and bustle of normal life (though the surprise of not having it after making arrangements with the phone company threw me off at first)...

Taking in new landscapes and flowers and trees and foods and culture that was slower, less intense, and more relaxed than the hustle and bustle of normal life...

Being treated with honor and respect and appreciation for simply being me and being welcomed with open arms, literally, by women whom I'd never seen and probably will never see again and being challenged to continue forward in my faith and ministry and to give birth to the passions that God has lain on my heart...

Reflecting at the beach. Climbing the falls. Seeing the disparity between the tourist-y areas of Jamaica and the villages that are being transformed by the love and hope of Christ that is demonstrated by mission teams year in and year out. Realizing just how blessed I am to live in a country with good roads and clean water and laws against litter and fairly safe drivers and employment opportunities not dependent on tourism and organization but grieving the fact that I live in a country that is so dependent on the hustle and bustle of life...

It was all lovely.

It was all painfully and beautifully lovely...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your reflections. We are blessed in America with those things you mentioned, YET, what blessings do we miss because of those very things???

    Well said!!!!

    ReplyDelete