Friday, April 5, 2024

Hissing Resistance

 

Queen Antoinette, otherwise known as Annie the Cat,

Is having a hard time sharing her throne with her adopted brother, Sigma Ray.

 

Annie Mae has been an only cat child for around two years.

She has had full reign of both inside and outside the house,

Securing favorite sleeping spots in every room and

Granting herself access to every point of entrance and exit.

She has had a personal Butler in my dad,

Who feeds her whenever she demands it,

Which is why she’s quite robust,

And part of why she is struggling to welcome a creature who is vying for her food.

 

I know that feeding an animal is a sure-fire way to make the animal your own,

Whether you want the animal or not.

But as soon as I saw Sigma,

Tiny and starving,

I knew I had to give him food.

I couldn’t let him suffer.

And he was suffering,

Unbeknownst to us at the time,

With two broken back legs in addition to an empty belly.

But even in his suffering, Sigma was the sweetest boy,

Rubbing against my legs,

Letting me hold him,

Purring louder than all of Annie’s purrs put together,

And being genuinely happy to be around people.

He even let my dad hold him,

Which secured his place in our household,

And allowed him to gain three pounds in two months :-p.

 

Yet Annie is struggling,

And she’s expressing her displeasure with Sigma’s presence and

Trying to establish her dominance over Sigma

By hissing vehemently at him whenever she sees him.

Thankfully, Sigma doesn’t fight back,

Rather he returns to his place as her subordinate.

And he loves her.

Wherever Annie is, he wants to be.

Yet she can’t be bothered.

She has a throne to protect.

 

I imagine that most of us feel like Annie sometimes.

Unhappy with the situation around us,

Unable to change it,

Resisting it,

Sometimes hissing at it (though probably silently),

But realizing that our resistance is futile because change is happening

Whether we like it or not.

 

I’m hoping that time will land the Queen and her subordinate as peaceful cohabitants in Annie’s Queen-dom.

Until then, I will keep loving her because she’s my baby,

But I will love him, too,

Because he’s the sweetest boy in all the land.

 

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment