Monday, October 2, 2023

A Happy Coffee Spill

 I don’t usually take my coffee into church,

But last Sunday I did.

I had a meeting after church that day and knew that I’d need the coffee to push me through,

So I took it in and placed it under the pew in front of me.

Somehow, and I still don’t know how,

I kicked my coffee cup and turned it on its side.

The lid fell off and the coffee spilled everywhere.

 

Thankfully, I sit on the second row,

So the coffee didn’t bother anyone else.

Thankfully, the day’s assisting minister saw the coffee spill,

So she went to get me some rags.

And thankfully, this event occurred during a particularly long time of announcements,

So I was able to clean up the mess without disrupting too much of the service.

But I was still embarrassed,

And I still had to walk out of the sanctuary carrying my coffee cup, trash, and rags…

And this is when the whole event turned serendipitous.

 

When I got to the fellowship hall with my coffee mess,

I noticed my friends Sherrie and Heidi each setting up their own stuff.

Sherrie was preparing materials for a church-wide mission project and

Heidi was preparing food to feed the people who stayed for said church-wide project.

Already out of the worship service,

I decided to ask if they needed help.

Sherrie did.

So I started setting up materials for the church-wide mission project, too.

I did this, alongside Sherrie, until it was time for the choir to sing.

If I hadn’t been there to help, then everything wouldn’t have been set up for the project,

And the project wouldn’t have gone as successfully as it did.

 

So…I guess you can say that my coffee-spill turned out for the best.

Whether God orchestrated the whole event or

God worked through the event brought on by clumsy feet

Is up for theological debate.

 

All I know is that something embarrassing turned into something good,

And for that…

I am grateful.

 

“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who[i] have been called according to his purpose.”  Romans 8:28

 

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment