Friday, September 1, 2023

Could or Would?

 We had a hymn-sing this past Sunday morning.

Instead of a traditional sermon, congregants requested hymns.

Amongst others, we sang: Go Tell It On The Mountain; Here I Am, Lord; Joy To The World; Beautiful Savior; How Great Thou Art; Come Thy Fount of Every Blessing; America The Beautiful; I Know That My Redeemer Loves; Blessed Assurance; Let Us Break Bread Together; and Shine, Jesus, Shine.

The service was lovely!

And I walked away singing.

 

But I also walked away pondering some lyrics from Beautiful Savior.

“Beautiful Savior, King of Creation,

Son of God and Son of Man,

Truly I’d love thee, Truly I’d serve thee,

Light of my soul, my joy and crown.”

 

I find the word “I’d” interesting.

It implies I COULD or I WOULD,

Rather than I DO.

 

Why did the lyricist say this?

 

The rest of the hymn goes on to extol the wonderful characteristics of Jesus—

Some of the reasons that he is great and worthy of being loved and served.

So why the condition on loving and serving instead of the affirmation of just doing so?

 

I don’t know.

 

But it makes me think:

Is this how it is with us?

I COULD or I WOULD love and serve Jesus, but…

 

And then we fill in the blank.

 

Kind of like,

I COULD or I WOULD

Start exercising,

Stop drinking,

Eat healthier,

Stop cursing,

Start counseling,

Contact that friend or family member,

Write that letter,

Cut up that credit card,

Pay that bill,

And so much more.

 

I COULD or I WOULD, but…

 

Maybe we need to stop making excuses.

 

Truly I DO Love thee.

Truly I DO Serve thee.

Light of my soul, my joy and crown.

 

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment