Thursday, June 8, 2023

It's Time For A Break

 Today is the last day of school for students.

Some students are excited about the summer.

Others are not.

Some will enjoy the academic break and not suffer because of it.

Others will not.

Some will have plenty of food.

Others will not.

Some will go on vacation.

Others will not.

Some will feel safe at home.

Others will not.

I used to not think about these things.

I used to just be happy for the time away.

Now I worry for the kids.

 

Yet it’s time for a break.

 

The kids are done.

The teachers are done.

Administration is done.

Everyone else in the school is done.

 

Case in point:

Yesterday I asked a student to put his water bottle on my desk.

He hadn’t stopped flipping it after being asked five times to stop.

He said, “Can I drink some first?”

I said, “No. You lost that privilege.”

He looked at me, unscrewed the lid, took a huge gulp, and then walked to my desk on his knees.

He placed the water bottle on my desk, staring at me the whole time.

I stared back.

I was thinking unkind thoughts about this kids’ future,

Until I realized I should be throwing love bombs instead.

So I changed my inner dialogue to, “Love bomb, love bomb, love bomb…”

Until he got back to his seat and broke the stare.

 

Did I mention that the kids are done?

 

And yet there is still good.

 

One of my fifth graders gave me a gift bag with a nice planner and

Native American tea bags and a smudge stick.

He is an American Indian himself,

And he and his family know how much I respect Native culture.

His gift is one of the most thoughtful student gifts I’ve ever received.

 

Another student presented me with a $25 gift card to Amazon.

If you want to know the way to a teacher’s heart,

Then give them an Amazon gift card!

 

And yet another student gave me four sample perfumes.

This student has very little to give. He is food insecure and worried about the summer.

And yet. He found something to give.

 

So there is good.

 

But it’s time for a break.

 

It’s time to reset.

 

It’s time to rest.

 

Dear God: Guide and protect us this summer as we seek to reset. Protect us in our homes and on our journeys and provide food to all who need to be fed. May we read. May we write. May we rest. And most of all, may we enjoy one another’s company and share these days with laughter and love. Thank you, God. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment