Monday, September 12, 2022

Gift from Monica

 I love getting mail.

Even packages from the Amazon and the E-bay excite me.

Half of the time, I don’t remember what I’ve ordered,

So opening packages is always fun.

But it’s especially fun when a package arrives from a friend—

Completely unexpected.

 

That’s what happened to me on Saturday.

After being away from home all day,

I came home to find a package waiting for me

From my friend and fellow Meredith French horn major, Monica.

Monica and I keep in touch via Facebook posts and Christmas cards.

But the last time we personally talked was months ago and that was about getting our horns cleaned.

 

As I looked at and felt the package, I racked my brain as to what was inside.

It was soft and squishy and so probably not something to do with the horn—

I had no idea what it was!

When I opened the package, I found two beautiful, handmade coasters.

I immediately knew that Monica had made them.

Monica is super talented with her horn, with yarn, with other crafty things, and with her camera.

 

And then I opened the note.

This wasn’t a fundraiser.

Monica wasn’t asking for a donation.

Monica was simply writing me and sending a little gift to say that she valued our continued friendship and that she was thinking of me.

Wow!

What a gift!

I’m still so humbled that I don’t know what to say.

 

Except…

Keep in touch with your people, friends.

In a world where disconnection is so very easy,

Make sure to make connections however and whenever possible.

A text.

A direct message.

A phone call.

A note at work.

A hug.

Real mail.

It may take a bit of time and effort,

But that time and effort are worth it when they brighten the day of someone you love.

 

Dear God: Thank you for Monica, her card and gift, our continued friendship and respect for one another, and for the ability to add joy to someone’s life. May we all be joy-bearers, in whatever way feels most natural and right to us. Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment