Monday, March 28, 2022

Brains

 I had the opportunity to lead the music for a women’s retreat on Saturday morning.

 

One of the day’s scripture passages was Psalm 23.

 

I found a new hymn called “Surely Goodness and Mercy” that fit with the passage.

 

When I first looked at it, I was able to sightread it without any trouble.

 

I figured that if I could sing it without having to play it, then it wouldn’t be too hard for everyone else.

 

So I added it to the order of worship.

 

When I mentioned this new hymn to my mom and dad, they both immediately told me that we used to sing it all the time in Tabor City.

 

What?

 

I grew up singing “Surely Goodness and Mercy?”

 

Why did I have no recollection of it?

 

Or did I?

 

Was the music deeply filed in the archives of my brain, just waiting to be accessed again?

 

Is that why I sightread it so easily?

 

I think that it was.

 

Our brains are amazing things.

 

For our brains, God, we give you thanks.

For songs foundational to our lives, we give you thanks.

For information stored that we didn’t even know we had, we give you thanks.

Help the good memories come to us when we need them, and help the bad ones stay filed away.

We love you, and your goodness, and your mercy.

Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment