Monday, February 28, 2022

Spontaneous Hugs

 It’s happened twice recently—

The spontaneous hug.

Two students,

Each hesitant at first,

Coming in for the hug,

Stopping themselves,

But finally deciding it was okay.

One student was almost as tall as me,

Built big, and could take me down in a heartbeat.

But he was so excited that we had played the keyboards

That he couldn’t contain himself.

Spontaneous hug #1.

The other student was considerably smaller,

And just decided to hug me for no particular reason.

Spontaneous hug #2. 

Both students wrapped their arms around me,

Hugged me very quickly,

And walked away.

Both students made me smile.

 

Sometimes, friends, we need to go in for the spontaneous hug.

Sometimes, when we can’t contain the joy we’re feeling,

We simply need to open our arms and give someone a hug.

It doesn’t have to be a bear hug.

It can be a pat-pat hug.

A side hug.

A finger hug.

Whatever hug you’re comfortable giving.

But sometimes we just need to give a hug…

Because sometimes someone needs to receive it.

 

Dear God, Thank you for hugs. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment