Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Calendars for the Kids

We have a tradition. On the day after Christmas, we go to the bookstore to buy calendars at 50% off. I buy calendars for friends and family members, and I buy calendars for my classroom.

This year, I bought five calendars for my classroom: Mister Rogers, Peanuts, Unlikely Friends, Harry Potter, and Muscle Cars. Because I was given three personalized calendars and sent one from the zoo, I now have eight calendars in my classroom and one in the hallway outside my door :-o!

My students keep asking why I have so many calendars. I say, “Because you like them.” And they do.

In the past, I have tried to fill my room with inspirational calendars. Last year, amongst others, I had “The Road Less Traveled” and “Famous Women in Science” as my room’s decorations. No one ever commented on those calendars. I don’t think the adults noticed, and I think there were too many words for the kids—and kids don’t always care so much about words.

They loved my Unlikely Friends calendar, though. I received lots of comments on the animals and how cute they were. And they liked the Dr. Seuss calendar. The fun illustrations caught their eyes.

So I took a different approach this year. I decided that if I couldn’t inspire them, then I would make them smile 😊.

I couldn’t find a Dr. Seuss calendar that day, so I substituted Mr. Rogers. I’ve had the Peanuts calendar for years. I like it calendar because it has a cute picture with the phrase “Happiness is…” and then something different in the blank each month. I figure the repetition is helpful for emerging readers. The Unlikely Friends calendar is always a hit. And…well…I figured that the kids would like Harry Potter and Muscle Cars.

And I was correct. I have literally had cheers for each of the calendars.

Sometimes, friends, we do things that we wouldn’t ordinarily do simply because we know that those we love will benefit from our stepping out of comfort. May we be a people willing to try new things for the sake of good, and may we embrace the notion that if we can’t inspire them, then at least we can make them smile (through good, clean, fun).

When is the last time you did something out of the ordinary for those you love? Please share. I’d love to hear.


No comments:

Post a Comment