Thursday, October 24, 2019

Scattered Thoughts

I’m feeling a bit scattered today.

I’m preaching on Sunday. I have a passage of scripture. I have studied the passage. I have a central idea. I know what I feel led to say. I just have no idea how to move it from a paragraph into a sermon. I think I may have sermon fright…

I went to the fair two times this year. I was there for around 9 total hours. In chronological order, I ate: frozen apple cider, a fried cheeseburger, half of a Thanksgiving egg-roll, muscadine juice, a chicken pita, mini-donuts, tempura vegetables, half of a Korean pork roll egg-roll, a gyro, and a piece of fried pumpkin pie. I think I’m still full…

I ran into three students at the fair. Two were brothers who have never been in the car rider line but somehow their parents recognized me. One was a girl who is a car rider once a week yet her mom looked at me like she might have to hurt me for hugging her daughter who had suction-cupped herself around my waist. I’m thankful that I had on my RedForEd shirt so that I at least looked something like a teacher…

Evidently, five little pumpkins are sitting on a gate. They can speak. And their words rhyme. And the five little pumpkins rollllllllled out of sight…

I’m pretty sure that Halloween and haunted houses are to blame for clowns and dolls now being associated with spooky things. I blame the same for today’s perception of organ music. Organ music originated in the church but is no longer known for being music for worship but for being music for haunted or scary things. I think this is sad…

I’ve been having some trouble with my voice lately. Specifically, my singing range has drastically decreased and my voice isn’t as strong as it used to be. Even so, a Kindergarten student looked at me today and said, “You have such a beautiful voice.” He was so genuine in his compliment. It made me feel good…

The Kindergartners were drawing words for the letter D the other day, and one student drew me. I think that’s pretty cool!...

I have a dog that comes through car rider line with his big human every day. His name is Noah. His little human’s name is B. Yesterday, over the walkie talkie, I didn’t call for B. Instead, I called for Noah. Oops!...

I had a hat behind my desk the other day, so I threw it on really quickly for car duty. When I got outside, one of my Kindergarteners said, “You don’t have your thing on,” and she gestured for a jacket. Afraid that my nightmares were coming true and that I was somehow shirtless, I looked down. I had on my shirt, but I didn’t have on my safety vest. Oops! I’m just impressed that someone noticed…

I have at least two sets of car twins in the car rider line now. Sometimes, I call the wrong name. Oops…

My hair caught my earring last night and knocked my earring out of my ear. Somehow, the earring disappeared. It was a piercing stud that I’ve had for well over 20 years. I’m sad…

“Be still and know that I am God.”

*breathe*

Be still…

No comments:

Post a Comment