Monday, January 2, 2017

One Right Step At A Time

A few months ago, when we lost power during Hurricane Matthew and I had no way to refrigerate food, spent a considerable amount of time making sure we had enough candles to provide night-time light, and spent even more time trying to find ways to keep computers and phones alive, I had the distinct thought, “I understand why scripture says not to worry about tomorrow. Today really does have enough trouble of its own.” Granted, the troubles of my hurricane days were very much 21st century problems and really weren’t troubles at all, but I am thankful for that moment of profound truth because I keep going back to it: Do not worry about tomorrow, Deaton. Focus on today. Just make it through today.

December was a whirlwind. I imagine it was the same for you. For me, in addition to regular teaching and church planning and duties, December included a progressive dinner, a K-2 program, a children’s Advent musical, an adult cantata, a carols and candlelight service, a final project in my special needs class, a group presentation in my special needs class, a final project of sorts in my other class, and a take-home exam in my other class. Only after Christmas day worship was over and New Year’s Day worship had been planned was I able to take a few days off. I am so thankful for those days.

As those days have moved to an end much more quickly than they began, I have found myself increasingly more agitated. My thoughts have been crowded, my dreams have been full of anxiety, my shoulders have been slouched, and my stomach has been unsettled. When I think about the upcoming semester, I imagine a semester of December but with no end in sight. And that feels really bad. I don’t want to live like this—feeling the weight of projected tomorrows on today—and then that truth comes back to me, “Don’t worry about tomorrow, Deaton. Focus on today. Just make it through today.”

Yesterday during her children’s sermon, Rebecca The Children’s Minister challenged the children to live the new year with righteousness—to make one right decision at a time.

One right decision at a time. One lesson at a time. One assignment at a time. One book at a time. One rehearsal at a time. One memory at a time. One fear at a time. One heartache at a time. One moment of grief at a time. One tear at a time. One laugh at a time. One song at a time. One appointment at a time. One breath at a time. Do not worry about tomorrow. Focus on today. Just make it through today.

This evening, as I sat down to attempt to settle my accounts from 2016, Dumbledore challenged Harry to consider, “Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.” Words are powerful. With words, I have the power to both build up and tear down. With words, I have the opportunity both to encourage and discourage both myself and others.

One right decision at a time. One word at a time. One mantra at a time: Do not worry about tomorrow, friend. Focus on today. Just make it through today. Do your best today. Live fully in this moment. Make the most of this reality. Love today. Create words of love today. Because today is the day that we have been given.

No comments:

Post a Comment