Monday, July 11, 2016

Stanley Sends Fred to Europe

Well, folks. A big decision was made today. After traveling with me around the States and to Jamaica and the Bahamas, Stanley has decided that he will not be traveling with me to Europe. He feels like he needs to stay home to oversee my parents as they oversee the workers who are building my dad a home office. This evening, as they overlooked the building site, Stanley and little brother Fred discussed the trip, and Stanley gave Fred the wings he needs to fly. That’s right, everyone: Fred is going to Europe.

Some of you may be thinking, “Dee, I didn’t even know you were going to Europe.” I know. It’s hard to believe. But I am going to Europe. I leave Wednesday. I am both excited and nervous. And I haven’t yet started to pack.

Two years ago, my aunt asked if I’d be willing to travel with her to the Scandinavian region of the world. Being the geographical dummy that I am, I didn’t know where Scandinavia was, but I happily agreed to being June Gail’s travel companion. Why not? Not many opportunities like this arise.

One year ago, my aunt asked if I’d be willing to leave a couple of days early to go to Iceland. Sure! Why not? Again, not many opportunities like this arise.

And what is this opportunity?

It’s a 15-day Viking Sea Cruise around the Baltic Sea with a three day prelude in Iceland.

My aunt, who has traveled around the world, has spent many hours studying the places that we will be going and talking with both her travel agent and representatives of Viking Cruise Lines. Together, we spent an entire Saturday planning our excursions, and we have a jam-packed itinerary. I am fully prepared to be exhausted upon my return—and maybe during the trip—but I’m also prepared to do everything I can to experience as much as I can. Because, well, not many opportunities like this arise.

I’m nervous about getting motion sick. I’m nervous about eating something that makes me sick on my stomach. Okay. I’m nervous about getting any kind of sick. I’m nervous about missing a flight or missing the boat. I’m nervous about losing important documents. I’m nervous about being so far away from friends and family. I’m concerned about the divisions in this country. But. I think I may be more excited to see more of the world.

And what of the world will I see? You might want to pull up a map for this :

Reykjavick, Iceland: Thingvellir National Park, Geysir Hot Springs and included lunch, Gullfoss Waterfall, Kerid Crater, Blue Lagoon

Stockholm, Sweden: Meet The Royal Swedish Opera, Stockholm City Tour

Helsinki, Finland: Tour of Helsinki, Porvoo and Haikko Manor

St. Petersburg, Russia: Catherine Palace and Gardens, Panoramic city tour, Church of our Savior on Spilled Blood, St. Petersburg Ballet, Hermitage Museum, Peterhof, Hydrofoil across Gulf of Finland

Tallin, Estonia: Old Town Tallin and Manor Houses

Gdansk, Poland: Gdansk City Tour

Berlin, Germany: Sachsenhausen and Berlin Tour

Copenhagen, Denmark: Copenhagan City Tour, Tivoli Gardens, Evening Jazz Cruise Through Copenhagen

Alborg, Denmark: Wild West Coast and Lighthouse Tour

Stavenger, Norway: Stavenger Walking Tour and Oil Museum

Flam, Norway: A Panoramic Half-Day Railway Trip and Flam and Osterbo Mountain Lodge Tour

Bergen, Norway: Fantoft Stave Church and Grieg's House and Recital

Mamers, United States: VBS 2016 

The Viking Sea does include complimentary internet access, and I have upgraded my phone so that I can more easily keep in contact and post pictures of Stanley’s little brother, Fred. So…I will try to keep in touch, but…I’m going to try harder to be fully present on this trip.

Keep us in your thoughts and prayers. And believe me when I say that I know how extremely fortunate I am to have this opportunity and that I, personally, am praying that I will be able to use this trip to bless others. Somehow. In some way. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment