Monday, August 24, 2015

Reflections On My First Day of School

I started teaching-year eleven today. Had I continued teaching every year since college, then I’d be starting teaching-year seventeen. Alas, I took a six-year sabbatical. My retirement account does not thank me. But my general sense of well-being does.

I don’t remember when it started, but somewhere along the way my mom and I started shaking hands on the first day of school—and before all of my other major life events, truth be told. So this morning, at o’dark-thirty, I woke my mom to shake her hand. We shook hands. Then she un-mummied herself, got up, hugged me, and told me she loved me.

When I returned to teaching after my six-year sabbatical, my dad decided that he would cook me breakfast each morning. I don’t know why he decided this, but I’m glad that he did. So this morning, at o’dark-thirty, I came downstairs to a fully cooked breakfast. I told my dad thanks, gave him a hug, and told him I loved him. He told me he loved me, too.

I pray a lot. I pray for other people. I pray for myself. I pray for church. I pray for school. I pray for friends. I pray for family. I pray in the car, the shower, my bed, my classroom. I pray publically whenever someone asks. But rarely do I pray with someone, and rarely does someone pray with me. But this morning, at o’dark-thirty, a friend called and asked if she could pray for me as I began school today. She prayed. And I literally felt God’s spirit moving into and through me.

Power more than words.
Spirit breathes fresh breath to lungs.
Life courses through veins.

“Every day we wake up,” she said, “it’s a new day. A fresh start.”

Sunlight peaks through clouds.
Rise up on wings of prayer.
Today’s a new day.


“Remember,” she said. “I am proud of you for doing what you do. For standing in the trenches and fighting for your students and fellow teachers. For not giving up. For fighting the good fight. I know it’s not always easy. Keep fighting and persevering. You are needed. Your love is needed.”

A handshake.
A breakfast sandwich.
A hug.
A prayer.
A lot of love.
Encouragement.
Every day:
A new day.
A fresh start.
And not just for me, friends.
But for you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment