Monday, December 30, 2013

Sing, Baby, Sing

My sister and her family came to the house today. Dana’s first task was to go through the two dressers that were in “her” room (even though she’s never lived in this house) so that she could move her childhood furniture into her daughter’s room at their house. After she and my mom completed that task, Finley and I moved the empty furniture down the stairs and onto the truck, where my dad helped secure it. Griffin held open the front door. Amelia served as cheerleader and encourager.

As I worked with Finley to get the furniture down the stairs, I heard this little voice saying, “Step. Step. Step. Be careful, daddy. Step. You’re doing a good job. Step. You’re almost there. Step. Step. You can do it. Step. Step. Hooray! You made it!!”

When I asked Amelia why she hadn’t cheered for me, she said, “Because you could see where you were going.”

A few minutes later, following her big brother’s helpful lead, Amelia attempted to carry a drawer down the steps. Seeing that she was struggling, I volunteered to hold half of the drawer. “I’ve got it!” she said. “I’m going to make it! I can do this because you’re helping me and carrying the heaviest part.”

Earlier today, Amelia and Griffin had a discussion about where one of their grown-up friends works. Griffin said she didn’t work at Belk. Amelia said she did. Griffin said, “I thought she quit.” Amelia said, “She did quit. But she went back.” Finley confirmed that Amelia was correct. I asked Amelia how she knew what was going on and she responded, “Because she told me. And I listened.”

As my mom and I put the kids to bed tonight, I had the privilege of reading the bedtime story. I read Sleep, Baby, Sleep by Maryann Cusimano Love. With Amelia nestled in my arms reminding me that she’s not a baby but that I should still read “baby” because it’s what the book says, I couldn’t help but feel an overwhelming sense of love for her and her big brother (who was pretending not to pay attention but really was). I read:

Sleep, baby, sleep, snuggled like a sheep. Be always like the lamb so mild, a kind and sweet and gentle child. Sleep, baby, sleep…

...Grow, baby, grown. From our arms you’ll go, unfurling like a butterfly, cocoon opening to the sky. Grow, baby, grow.

Hush, baby, hush. Growing can’t be rushed. Be always like a newborn foal with whispered wind songs in his soul. Hush, baby, hush.

Shine, baby, shine, graceful child of mine. Be like the firefly who glows no matter who the darkness grows. Shine, baby, shine.

Peace, baby, peace. All your cares release. Be always like the snowy dove who spreads her wings and sings of love. Peace, baby, peace.

Dream, baby, dream, rising like moonbeams. Be always like the dragonfly shimmering in the misty sky. Dream, baby, dream.

Sleep, baby, sleep. Our promises we’ll keep. Be the miracle you are, a wish come true on shooting star. Sleep, baby, sleep.

Some people say that we learn all we need to know in Kindergarten. Sometimes I think they are right. Amelia certainly is on to something in wholeheartedly encouraging her daddy who could not see, accepting help when she needed it, realizing that she can’t always do everything alone, and taking the time truly to listen. Little does she know that, even though I could see, her words and spirit encouraged me as well. At age 5, her life is already making a difference well beyond what she intends or knows.

Sing, baby, sing. Or should I say whistle, baby, whistle. As you are going back and forth between both while I finish this note. Do as you are singing and “sleep in heavenly peace…” For you truly are a miracle. And I am lucky to be inspired by you.

No comments:

Post a Comment